May 8 is
Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
SUBMITTED BY: Carol H.
“This is a tried and true, old fashioned coconut cream pie. Took many years of searching and baking to find the right one and this is it! Enjoy!”
Original recipe yield:
1 – 9 inch pie
|PREP TIME||20 Min|
|COOK TIME||30 Min|
|READY IN||4 Hrs 50 Min|
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
- Top with whipped topping, and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
- Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.